If you have little girls in your life anywhere from toddler and tween age, you’ll know that the clothing offerings for girls are more often than not way too adult in cut and way too girlie in style.
In clothing stores everywhere, girls’ clothing is a sea of pastel short shorts and dresses with super cute prints like cupcakes, kittens and fairies. And it’s not for everyone.
One American mother got so fed up with the narrow fashion offerings for her daughter and nieces, that she did something about it – Sharon Choksi decided to make her own.
When Sharon’s daughter Maya turned three, she didn’t want to wear pink. Her daughter was into climbing trees and building Lego and she craved clothing with no frills, no bows and ‘absolutely no sparkles.’
When Sharon started searching for girls’ clothing to suit her daughter’s emerging personality, she struggled to find anything that wasn’t tight, short and pastel.
Sharon became frustrated and her daughter Maya asked her, “Why do boys get all the cool stuff?”
So Sharon began by doing some research. She collected boys and girls clothing from 10 retailers and took measurements to compare. She discovered that girls’ shorts were a third of the length of boys’ shorts, shirts were about 7cm thinner and the sleeves shorter.
And if you think, well, little boys and girls are difference sizes and shapes anyway — it’s generally not the case. In the preteen years, girls and boys are actually pretty similar in height and shape. In fact, girls equal boys in weight at about age eight and are taller than boys around age 11, because they start puberty earlier than boys.
So Sharon set about designing a clothing line for girls aged four to 14 who wanted to get active and feel comfortable too and her fashion label Girls Will Be was born.
And her ‘no-girlie-girl’ design approach to girls’ clothing proved popular.
At her launch in 2013, Sharon sold out of pretty much every item and was left rushing to make more.
While there’s a place for pretty pastels and ruffles sometimes – not all girls want to dress like tiny princesses.
“There is definitely more than one way to be a girl – and it doesn’t have to always involved pink and sparkles,” said Sharon.
What’s different about Girls Will Be clothing?
An “In-The-Middle” Fit. Because girls need clothes that are comfortable and ready for action (not just skinny fits and short shorts!), without being boxy and oversized like most boys clothes. Learn more about our unique fit here.
• Stereotype-Busting Graphics. Because nothing is only “for boys” (not science, not dogs without bows, not anything!), and girls are bold and awesome too (and deserve more than “cutesy” sayings on their shirts!)
• Bold, Vibrant Colors. Because girls should have a choice of colors (not just pink and pastels!)
• No Frills. Because not all girls want to wear sparkles and ruffles and bows (at least not all of the time!)
• High Quality, Soft Fabrics. Because girls aren’t fragile and their clothes shouldn’t be either (our fabrics are super soft and lightweight, without being flimsy)
• And Pockets! Because girls needs pockets for their stuff, just like boys!
Does Girls Will Be ship to Australia?